In efforts to improve communications between parent and school Evansville Attendance Center and Sparta District #140 is instituting a telephone broadcast system that will enable school personnel to notify all households and parents by phone within minutes of an emergency or unplanned event that causes early dismissal school cancellation or late start. The service may also be used from time-to-tome to communicate general announcements or reminders. This service is provided by SchoolReach, which specializes in school to parent communications. EAC and Sparta District #140 will continue or report school closing due to snow or weather on Channel 2, Channel 12, Channel 3 and Channel 5 television stations and WHCO 1230 radio and will use this system as an overlay to the pubic announcements.
When used, the service will simultaneously call all listed phone numbers our parents contact list and will deliver a recorded message from Mrs. Ebers or another school administrator. The service will deliver the message to both live answer and answering machines. No answer and busies will be automatically retried twice in 15 minutes intervals after the initial call.
This requires No registration by the parents on the SchoolReach website. All information and contact numbers are strictly secure and confidential and are only used for the purposes described.
Here is some specific information you should know:
Caller ID: The Caller ID will display 618-853-4411, which is the main number for EAC.
Live Answer: There is a short pause at the beginning of the message, usually just a few seconds. Answer your phone as you normally would "Hello" and hold for the message to begin. Multiple "Hello's" will delay message. Inform all family member of this process who may answer your phone.
Answering Machines: The system will detect that your machine has answered and will play the recording to your machine the maximum numbers of rings before hang up is 5. Make sure your machine answers after 4 rings or you may miss the message.
Morning & Day Calls: In the event a cancellation decision is made the night before, or in the early morning hours, the broadcast message will be sent only to home phone number. In the event a cancellation decision is made mid-day, the broadcast message will be sent to home and cellular numbers. General announcements would be sent only to home numbers, unless you designate that your cell phone is your primary contact and do not have a land line available.
Message Repeat: At the end of the message you will be prompted to "press 1" to hear the message again. This is very effective when a child answers the phone and hands it to a parent, who can them "Repeat" the message in its entirety.
If you have any questions, please contact us at the Evansville School.
SchoolReach, the service provider, uses the best available technology in the industry to detect the difference between human answer and machine answer.
How detection work:
1. The system detects and measures the voice energy when the phone is answered.
2. The system measures this energy in combination with the background noise and line impairments.
3. If the system determines that it is a "live answer it will immediately start playing the message.
4. If the system determine that it is a machine it will wait for 3 full seconds of silence before playing the message with a maximum wait time of 20 seconds.
5. If the system cannot make a determination it will default to answering machine thus requiring 3 seconds of silence for the message to play. In this case, you may hear a prompt to "Press any key to hear the message immediately."
Some reasons for false detection:
1. Loud background noise; television, radio, general noisy environment.
2. Cordless phone that has static or other foreign noise.
3. Not saying hello or delaying saying hello.
What can be done to remedy this?
1. Do not say hello more then once, if the system detected your answer incorrectly all noise will reset the 3 second counter.
2. If, after you answer, the message does not immediately play - you can cover the mouthpiece of the phone to cutout all background noise the message should then play after 3 seconds.